Berner Adds BACnet and Adaptive Settings to Berner AIR™, the App for Air Curtains
October 20, 2021
Berner International, New Castle, Pa., North America’s leading air curtain manufacturer and HVAC innovator, has added adaptive settings and true BACnet compatibility to its Berner AIR™ to better support client sustainability goals. The Berner AIR is a smart controller and app platform that elegantly connects end-users to their air curtains and simplifies programming, operating and monitoring.
App’s adaptive settings energy-efficiently and automatically control air curtain’s air streams based on ambient weather conditions and doorway temperature.
The North American air curtain industry’s first app-based adaptive setting feature boosts energy efficiency by automatically calibrating the airstream performance according to the weather. Berner AIR’s onboard Intelliswitch™ controller reports local weather conditions (via the Berner AIR’s Internet connection), the doorway temperature (via an onboard sensor) and air curtain model data every 20 minutes to factory servers. Factory engineered software then uses a proprietary algorithms to determine the best volume, velocity and uniformity (VVU) balance for the given moment and adjusts the fan speed accordingly. Pinpointing the most energy-efficient of the 10 available air curtain fan speeds helps buildings meet energy conservation, sustainability and carbon footprint goals while also maintaining thermal comfort.
The newly-added BACnet communication capabilities is standard on Berner’s premium Architectural Elite 8 and 10 models and optional on all other Architectural Series air curtains when ordered with the Berner AIR. BACnet allows programming, operating and monitoring from the Berner smartphone app or the building management system (BMS).
The BACnet feature allows control of:
- Preset programming (Comfort Plus, Auto, and PureAir) for automated control
- Fan speed for more manual control
- Time delay; thermostat temperature set point and type
- Time/day set as well as start/stop times for match your building’s operating hours.
- Lock PASScode for additional security
Berner’s advanced technology platform began a decade ago with the development of the Intelliswitch, a digital controller that later served as a foundation for the 2017 introduction of Berner AIR, the North American HVAC industry’s first air curtain mobile app. Berner AIR 2.0 was added last year. The new secure, fully-encrypted platform provides the Berner AIR app for both Android and Apple devices, and allows over-the-air system updates.
Other newly-added benefits:
- Adaptive settings set-up simply requires a smartphone, Berner AIR app download, a secure wireless Internet connection, pairing the app to the air curtain Intelliswitch and the location’s zip code;
- OpenWeather API provides local real-time wind speeds and eliminates sensor installations building and envelop penetrations;
- BACnet feature enables management of multiple air curtains across multiple facilities;
- BACnet capabilities comply with ANSI / ASHRAE Standard 135;
- Allows factory technician secure access for calibration and troubleshooting.
Learn more about Berner’s Architectural Series at www.Berner.com
Download the Berner App at the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.
About Berner International
At Berner International, we make air curtains. Air curtains, also known as air doors, are machines that, when the door is open, blow air down across the opening in an engineered stream to save energy and create healthy, comfortable environments. Berner has been designing and manufacturing air curtains in the U.S.A. since 1956. Berner is the leader in the air curtain / air door equipment manufacturing industry.
Berner is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), the Green Building Alliance (GBA), the Air Movement & Control Association (AMCA), and the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). For more information on Berner and its products, please call (724)-658-3551 or visit www.berner.com